GYNECARE THERMACHOICE® is a soft, flexible balloon that a doctor inserts in the uterus (womb) to treat the endometrium, the lining of the uterus.GYNECARE THERMACHOICE® is an effective nonhormonal treatment for heavy periods. It involves a minimally invasive, 8-minute procedure that can be performed in your doctor's office or in a hospital.
Safe and effective
There are different options for managing heavy periods. Most doctors recommend birth control pills initially to manage heavy periods, but for many women, this option is either ineffectiv
e or undesirable. They can cause weight gain, moodiness and breast tenderness, and may not ultimately be effective in reducing heavy periods.
Hysterectomies are also performed to treat heavy periods - in fact, 20% of the 600,000 hysterectomies performed annually are to treat heavy periods. A hysterectomy is major surgery with a long recovery time and may be avoidable.
If birth control pills have not been effective in reducing your heavy periods, global endometrial ablation (GEA) treatments like GYNECARE THERMACHOICE® may offer an effective option.
Here's how it works:
A small soft, flexible balloon attached to a thin catheter (tube) is first passed through the vagina and cervix, and then placed gently into the uterus. No incision is required. The balloon is made of silicone material, eliminating the risk of allergy for latex-sensitive women.
The balloon is then filled with fluid so that it inflates to the unique contours of the uterus.
The fluid is gently heated and circulated in the uterus for 8 minutes while the lining of the uterus is treated.
When the treatment is completed, all the fluid is withdrawn from the balloon, and the catheter is removed. Nothing remains in the uterus. The treated uterine lining will shed, like during a period, over the next 7-10 days.
In most cases, patients can resume normal activities the next day. Learn more about what to expect from treatment or find a doctor who can provide treatment. If it's right for you.
Clinically proven safe and effective
A clinical study showed:
- 95% of women treated with GYNECARE THERMACHOICE® reported normal to no periods up to 5 years later.
- 3 out of 4 women treated had reduction of menstrual pain and cramping.
- Nearly 2 out of 3 experienced either mild or no PMS symptoms after treatment.
- 93% reported they were still satisfied with the results 5 years after treatment.
With over half a million women treated worldwide, GYNECARE THERMACHOICE® is clinically proven safe and effective.
Who's a candidate for GYNECARE THERMACHOICE®?
You may be a candidate for GYNECARE THERMACHOICE® if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a premenopausal woman who is finished having children but wish to retain your uterus
- Your heavy periods are the result of hormonal imbalance or associated with certain fibroids.
- You have normal Pap smears and biopsy (tissue samples from inside the uterus) and no abnormal uterine conditions, including uterine cancer or precancerous conditions.
- You prefer not to take hormone therapy, or if treatment with birth control pills has failed to reduce your heavy periods.